Welcome

Red Bucket Farm is an urban farm on a quarter acre property in an average residential neighborhood. We are located in Wisconsin, USDA Zone 5. We focus on chickens, bees, orchard fruit, and raised garden beds for fruits and veggies. We hope to reduce our footprint on the planet by growing some of our food, reducing our use of fossil fuels, and gardening with sustainable practices. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Tomato Harvest


My tomato plants have been high maintenance this year. Although my Amish Paste tomatoes started out healthy and eager, by July they suffered from early blight. We treated with copper fungicide, which was useful and held disaster at arm's length. Just when I thought they might recover, the plants showed symptoms of late blight. More copper fungicide. These twelve plants have looked sick, spotted and wilted all summer, but in spite of it all, they have produced an impressive amount of fruit.

My favorite way of preserving the crop is simple. I oven roast a pan of tomatoes with some onion and garlic for about 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. After allowing it to cool, I puree it in the food processor and freeze in plastic freezer containers. It's easy to do and doesn't require peeling tomatoes or sweating over a hot canning process. I roast a pan of tomatoes twice a week. So far, I've frozen 50 cups of tomato sauce and there are still another 100 tomatoes on the vines.

So for all my whining about the tomatoes, I'm happy to report that this crop has been successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment