Welcome

Red Bucket Farm is an urban farm on a quarter acre property in an average residential neighborhood. We are located in Wisconsin, USDA Zone 5. We focus on chickens, bees, orchard fruit, and raised garden beds for fruits and veggies. We hope to reduce our footprint on the planet by growing some of our food, reducing our use of fossil fuels, and gardening with sustainable practices. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pesticide Notification Sign Up


Last spring I nearly had a heart attack when my neighbor's chemical lawn service arrived just as the currant bushes in my side yard were beginning to form fruit. I ran outside and talked to the employee, who tried to be cautious and respectful about spewing liquid chemicals on my food crops.


I've just learned that we have another option. The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection provides a Landscape Pesticide Advance Notice Registry, which means that the chemical lawn companies will give us advance notice of pesticide application. Here at Red Bucket Farm, this means that we can keep the bees inside the hives on the day of chemical application by corking their entrance holes when they return the previous night. Even one day's notice will give us a chance to protect them. We can also cover crops, keep the dog inside, close the house windows, and decide if the chickens are at risk.

You can register, too. Go to datcpservices.wisconsin.gov/landreg/index.jsp. First register yourself as a homeowner/renter, then register whatever adjacent property is causing concern. The deadline for signing up is February 1.

2 comments:

  1. Registering is certainly a good option. I never thought I was an organic gardener years ago, chemicals were NOT an option. If it kills insects, it can harm people. I had a heighbor who was spraying his tree right on our property line which by coincidence was also over the door to the coop. Not happy with him. He said 'No big deal, I have worked in the pesticide business in the past' as he stood under the spray coming off the tree. Such an idiot, I wonder how is health is nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have wondered about the long-term health of the pesticide employees. It just doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete