Welcome

Red Bucket Farm is an urban farm on a quarter acre property in an average residential neighborhood. We are located in Wisconsin, USDA Zone 5. We focus on chickens, bees, orchard fruit, and raised garden beds for fruits and veggies. We hope to reduce our footprint on the planet by growing some of our food, reducing our use of fossil fuels, and gardening with sustainable practices. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Trellis Recycled

Sometimes the garden industry drives me crazy! There are a ridiculous number of gadgets, tools, whidgits and whatnots all designed to help make the job easier and the wallet slimmer. It doesn't take long to figure out that we must get creative or go broke.

I planted snap peas this week. Last year's crop was yummy but nowhere near large enough, so this week I sowed a larger portion of one raised bed. I also built myself a large trellis to support the pea vines. The framework for the trellis is an abandoned backyard soccer goal which we found at the side of the road on garbage day in our neighborhood. I covered the goal frame with chicken wire fastened with plastic zip ties. I planted two double rows of peas on each side of the trellis.

Reduce. Reuse. Recyle. It's free and it's the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment