Welcome

Red Bucket Farm is an urban farm on a quarter acre property in an average residential neighborhood. We are located in Wisconsin, USDA Zone 5. We focus on chickens, bees, orchard fruit, and raised garden beds for fruits and veggies. We hope to reduce our footprint on the planet by growing some of our food, reducing our use of fossil fuels, and gardening with sustainable practices. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer Vacation

It's nearly impossible for an urban farmer to find time to leave the farm for summer vacation. Early summer is busy with planting, while late summer is harvest time. We planned our family's summer vacation months ago. The timing of it was more dependent on work and school schedules rather than farm work. In spite of everything, we were determined to spend a few days at Rocky Mountain National Park.

In the week before our departure, I could hardly keep up with farm work and still prepare for vacation. The Japanese beetles hatched and began munching happily on my fruit trees, grapes and raspberries (organic treatment: neem oil). My tomato plants suddenly showed signs of early blight, which quickly ruined my entire crop last year (organic treatment: copper fungicide). Cabbage worms were working on my Brussels sprouts, and my pepper plants were still struggling with whiteflies. The bees were threatening to swarm again and needed some management. The local garden center was having its frequent customer sale, so I planted three new current bushes. On top of everything, the weather forecast predicted the worst heat wave in years. How could I possibly leave Red Bucket Farm at this time?

Only with the help of some very good people. Steve came to the farm twice a day and fussed over my chickens as if they were his own. I think he might be as crazy as I am. Eric and Casey watered my gardens so faithfully that we have small mushrooms growing in the beds instead of wilting plants. Eric even gave my tomatoes another fungicide treatment. Dawn filled in all the gaps, checking on the chickens in the heat of the day and watering anything that looked dry. I came home to find my farm thriving quite nicely. In spite of what you hear on the news, there are still good people in the world and I'm blessed to have them for my friends and neighbors. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment